What to Look Out for When Test Driving Mobility Scooters
One of the best ways to decide whether a mobility scooter is right for you is by test driving one.
This way, you can get a proper feel for what it would be like to drive and handle on a daily basis. You will be able to become familiar with its different features and how you can adjust it to suit you.
But, what are the specific things you should always look out for on a test drive, to ensure you are making the right decision?
General FAQs for Test Driving Mobility Scooters
Do You Need to Pass a Test to Drive a Mobility Scooter?
First of all, for complete clarity, you do not need to pass a driving test to drive a mobility scooter; this includes test driving mobility scooters too. Test driving a mobility scooter is encouraged for everyone, so you can get some practice in before taking it out properly.
Do You Need a Driving Licence for an Electric Mobility Scooter?
Following on from above, you do not need a driving licence for an electric mobility scooter. You may have to register your mobility scooter or powered wheelchair with the DVLA, but you do not need a licence to drive or test drive the vehicle.
Questions to Ask When Test Driving Mobility Scooters
When you come into the showroom to try out different mobility scooter models, there are a number of questions you should ask yourself to ensure optimum comfort and your requirements are met.
Questions to ask yourself about operating the mobility scooter include:
- Can you get on and off the mobility scooter easily?
- Do you feel comfortable in the seat?
- Is there enough leg room?
- Are you able to reach all of the controls comfortably?
- Can you comfortably reach and use the steering column?
- Are you able to understand the controls and how to use them?
- Do you need any adjustments?
Once you feel comfortable with the answers above, it’s time to ask yourself questions about storage and lifestyle elements:
- Will it fit in the storage space you have provided?
- If not, are you willing to purchase accessories to enable storage at home?
- On a typical journey, are there any steep hills?
- On a typical journey, are there any high kerbs you will need to manoeuvre?
- On a typical journey, are there any uneven surfaces or terrain?
- Will you be going on frequent long journeys? Is your back supported? Will you be able to grip onto controls for long periods of time?
Manoeuvres to Practice When Test Driving Mobility Scooters
In addition to asking yourself questions, as well as the mobility scooter dealer, you should also practice specific manoeuvres during a test drive. This includes slowing down and stopping, so you can become familiar with these controls and train your reactions.
Also, turning and driving round corners will help you become more aware of the turning circle and how comfortable you feel using the steering column. By practicing using the indicators and lights before heading out onto the road, you can instil these safe habits when you are driving.
Test Driving Mobility Scooters with East Coast Mobility
At East Coast Mobility, you can experience our scooters first-hand in our showroom. By visiting us here, you can get up close and personal with our vehicles, testing them out and asking our experts any questions you may have.
We also offer free home demonstrations if you cannot get to our showroom. Simply get in touch with us directly and we can arrange this for you. Our team members are always happy to help and advise.